Welcome to Best SF
I’ve been reviewing short SF on BestSF.net since April 2000. You will find recent story reviews below. Use the links elsewhere on the page, and the search box, to access older reviews of stories going back to the 1950s. Currently reading The Year’s Greatest Science Fiction and Fantasy Second Annual Volume ed Judith Merril 1957.
- A story that would sit nicely in today's F&SF with only a few changes - blackly comic and satirical, it features two men setting out into zombie-infested territory.
- Mr. Kemper has been on Earth for millenia and finds little to differentiate the creatures in cages at the zoo from those staring in at them.
- A fairly weak story for a Hugo Winner.
- 'Mr. & Mrs. Henry Kuttner' ponder whether flesh & blood, despite their inherent weaknesses, are superior to computers.
- Imagine, a sports stadium full of hateful people, encouraged to be hateful, by the government. Sheer fantasy of course.
2018 Year’s Best Anthologies
The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume Twelve. (ed Jonathan Strahan, Solaris Books, 2018)
The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fifth Annual Collection (ed Gardner Dozois, St Martins/Griffin 2018)